Sometimes things just don’t work out the way you have planned. I used to get frustrated and think of all the what if’s. What if we had decided to do this? What if we had stayed longer or made a different turn? Since we have been traveling I have learned to accept the decisions we make. I have learned from experience things will work not how we have planned, but how God has planned. This is one of those stories.
We pulled out of Sue and Joe’s drive way after a great weekend and were ready for a full day of travel. About an hour and a half down the road we pulled off an exit for a bathroom break. While the kids and I went in the back, Marc stepped out of the truck to stretch and noticed water dripping out from under the truck. He immediately shut Great White off. In the back, I thought it was strange he turned the truck off. By the time I joined him in front of the truck water was pouring out from under it. Marcus and Caroline just climbed in the truck and began reading where they had left off.
Marc checked the truck over and decided the water pump had broken. With nothing at this exit, but fields and farms we had to figure out our options. It was about 75 miles back to Cheyenne. Marc called Freightliner there and they didn’t have anyone to tow us. Then Marc called another dealer and they recommended we try to make it to Sidney, NE about 30 miles ahead of us. Marc talked to a mechanic and he felt we could fill the truck up with antifreeze and water, watch the gauges and make it to Sidney. We had to drain out hot water heater in the camper to get enough water, but we were on our way. While Marc drove and watched the gauges I looked for a campground in Sidney. I found a Cablea’s with a campground. Usually we boondock at Cabela’s, but this one had a campground so I called to see if we could camp there for the night. The gentleman on the phone said we could have site 1. During that 30 miles I prayed, I think we all did, that we would be able to make it.
We made it to the campground where we unhooked and Marc and Marcus drove the truck to the Freightliner dealer less than half a mile away. They said they would look at it and let us know. The Cabela’s campground was $28 for the night with a Good Sam discount for full hook up. We decided to get some laundry, work and school done while we were waiting. They called to say it was the water pump and they would have to order the part, but they should have it by the next day. We made the best of our delay and looked around the Cabela’s store and took several walks. By 5:30 PM the next day we ready to hit the road again. We decided to get in a few hours that night and made it to Kearney, NE. We spent the night at the Cabela’s parking lot there. Thankful to be back on the road.